Design Review Board
Historic Properties Listening Session - Thursday, September 28, 2023
This meeting will be held in-person and via Zoom. The in-person option will be in the Council Chambers at 93 Cottage Street, Bar Harbor. Any member of the public can participate via Zoom webinar (the Zoom information is below).
Purpose: The Planning and Code staff would like to share information and answer questions about a potential land ordinance use amendment and its possible impacts to property owners who have historic properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There will be two of the same sessions at different times to accommodate different schedules.
- Morning Session: 9:00 AM
- Afternoon Session: 4:30 PM
Zoom Option Information:
Click on which session you want to join via zoom below.
Links to join: Morning Session Zoom link & Afternoon Session Zoom Link
- Morning: 845 4062 4283
- Afternoon: 812 0740 8978
- Morning: 750771
- Afternoon: 868266
- The second Thursday of every month, as well as the fourth Thursday (March-June)
- 2023 meeting schedule (please note start time of 4 PM)
- The Design Review Overlay District includes all properties subject to the board's review. The Design Review Overlay District map is linked here.
- New applications are due the Thursday prior to the meeting date
- Meetings are held at 93 Cottage St., Bar Harbor, ME 04609
- Meetings may have a Zoom participation option. If a meeting is held in a hybrid format, it will be posted on this webpage by at least the Monday before the meeting.
- Any member of the public can watch the meetings on Town Hill Streams
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 4:00 PM - Regular Monthly Meeting
A. Certificate of Appropriateness for DRB-2023-31
Applicant: MDI YMCA
Owner: Town of Bar Harbor
Project Location: 21 Park Street (107-221-000)
Proposed Project: Changes to Exterior Appearance of Non-historic Building - relocate tent.
B. Certificate of Appropriateness for DRB-2023-32
Applicant: Fraser Associates Architects. PC.
Owner: 34 Ledgelawn. LLC.
Project Location: 80 Main Street (104-519-000)
Proposed Project: Changes to Exterior of Appearance of Historic Building - replace windows
Contact the Design Review Board:
If the message relates to a particular application before the Design Review Board, that email will also be provided to the applicant. Any message sent to this email address is also considered a public record and may be subject to a request under the Maine Freedom of Access Act. Information that you wish to keep confidential should not be included in email correspondence to this address.
Contact information for individual Design Review Board members is not provided, as anything sent to individual member(s) of the board and not all parties involved in the review of a particular application would constitute ex parte communication.
- Barbara Sassaman, Chair
Term expires 2026
Term expires 2024
- Francis "Pancho" Cole, Vice Chair
Term expires 2024
- Mike Rogers
Term expires 2025
- Kate Macko
Term expires 2025
- Andrea Lepcio, Secretary
Term expires 2026
- Erin Cough
Term expires 2023
The Design Review Board reviews all projects which are located within their jurisdiction. Their jurisdiction includes the Downtown Village Districts, the Shoreland General Development I District, Town Hill Business, and the Village Historic District. However, regardless of the district location, any conditionally permitted use or property which houses a bed and breakfast is subject to design review.
The Design Review Board must review applications for demolition of structures which are historic, the moving or relocation of a building or sign which is historic, any exterior material change to the exterior of a historic building, sign, fence, or structure. Any new construction of principal or accessory structures, except for single or two family dwellings. Any material change to the exterior of a non historic building, sign, fence, or structure. Any change in existing fences, retaining walls, or freestanding walls, the erection of a new sign, relocation of an existing sign, change of appearance of an existing sign, and seasonal closure of businesses. However, it is advisable to meet with the Code Enforcement/Planning Department staff to determine whether or not Design Review Board approval is required.
A building permit is required for all activities except painting, regardless of approval by any other reviewing body.
Certificate of Appropriateness:
In order to ensure the aesthetic quality of Bar Harbor is preserved, the town requires a certificate of appropriateness from the Design Review Board before many changes to the exterior of buildings, or the addition of a sign can be made. Examples of construction or renovation projects that require a certificate of appropriateness include:
- Demolition or relocation of a historic building
- Changes to the exterior appearance of an historic or non-historic building including:
- Landscape lighting
- Construction of a new commercial building or an addition to an existing commercial building
- Installation or changes in fences or freestanding walls
- Installation or changes in signage including sandwich boards
- Installation or changes in outdoor storage or display including vending machines
- Plans for seasonal closure
Application for Certificate of Appropriateness:
Below are links to applications for specific types of projects:
Use the UPDATED application cover page for all the below applications (click here to download the cover page).
- Installation or Changes in Sign (Signage Review)
- Seasonal Closure
- Outdoor Storage and Display
- Changes to the Exterior Appearance of Non-Historic Building
- Construction of New Building or Expansion of Non-Historic Building
- Changes to the Exterior Appearance of Historic Building
- Demolition or Relocation of Historic Building
- Exterior Lighting Requirements
- Fencing and Walls
- The Design Review Handbook (revised spring 2021)
- Signage FAQ
- Design Review Board review process
- Design Review Overlay District map