The Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory was founded in 1898 at South Harpswell, Maine by J.S. Kingsley of Tufts University. The Laboratory moved to its present site at Salisbury Cove in 1921 when an offer of land was made by an organization known as the Wild Gardens of Acadia, headed by George B. Dorr and John D. Rockefeller, Jr., benefactors in the founding of Acadia National Park. The Laboratory was incorporated in 1914 under the laws of the State of Maine as a non-profit scientific and educational institution. For more than 100 years, leading scientists from throughout the United States and abroad come to Mount Desert Island to study marine and simple organisms to learn about the basic biology of life. MDIBL scientists make critical discoveries about how organisms adapt to their environment and how environment, health and genetics are related. They also investigate the root causes of diseases like cystic fibrosis, study early development and regeneration, and examine the mechanisms that make living creatures age.
Located at 159 Old Bar Harbor Road, Salisbury Cove
For more information please visit their website: www.mdibl.org