Annual Open Town Meeting: Votes on municipal and school budgets
Budget information page
A Citizen's Guide to Town Meeting, Maine Municipal Association, 2022
Town Election: Election of officers, votes on bond question and Land Use Ordinance Amendments
Poll Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The following offices will be elected by the voters at the June 13, 2023 Town Election:
- Bar Harbor Town Council Three seats – Three-year term
- Superintending School Committee Two seats – Three-year term
- MDI High School Trustee One seat – Three-year term
- Warrant Committee Five seats – Three-year term
Nomination papers will be available in the Town Clerk’s office beginning Friday, March 3. Deadline for filing nomination papers with the Town Clerk is Friday, April 14, 2023 at 5:00 pm. Call 207-288-4098 for more information.
Land Use Ordinance amendments:
- LAND USE ORDINANCE AMENDMENT – Double Setback Distances – This amendment would remove a standard in the Land Use Ordinance that requires principal buildings constructed in a subdivision where no lots are created be located so that the distance between the principal buildings is double the setback requirement for the district in which the subdivision is located.
- LAND USE ORDINANCE AMENDMENT – Floor Area Ratio – This amendment would remove all references in the Land Use Ordinance to Floor Area Ratio.
- LAND USE ORDINANCE AMENDMENT – Conversion to Multifamily Use – This amendment would remove standards in the Land Use Ordinance specifically for the conversion of existing structures into multifamily dwelling units I or II.
- LAND USE ORDINANCE AMENDMENT – Underground Utilities – This amendment would remove a standard in the Land Use Ordinance requiring that all site and subdivision plan projects must install utilities underground.
For the draft orders with the full text of each amendment, see the Land Use Information page.
Ways to Request an Absentee Ballot
- By mail (voter may request for self only): and mail to Town Clerk's Office, 93 Cottage Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
- By phone (voter may request for self only): call 207-288-4098.
- In person in the Town Clerk's office (voter may request for self and/or immediate family members).
Important Dates to Remember
- Beginning Wednesday, May 23, 2023 voter registration must be in person, rather than by mail. Voters must show proof of identity and proof of residency.
- June 8 is the last day to request an absentee ballot or vote in the Clerk's Office.
- Absentee Ballot envelopes must be received by close of polls, 8pm on Tuesday, June 13.